Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Step went crazy, wouldn't stop

Our 1992 Champion Europremier has a Kwikee electric step that I have worked on before but this is a new issue. Opened the door to get out and the step went down but the motor didn't stop. The motor just kept cranking away like it was still trying to lower the step. Closed the door and the step went up as normal, open door step back down and keeps running.

I remembered the plug under the step so I crawled under and unplugged to stop motor.

Now to figure out why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1992 Champion EuroPremier 38'-sold, 1984 Ford Bronco, 2010 Australian Shepherd - "Coby", 2012 Pomeranian- "Bella"
    www.ClassicRV.net

Found the 3 little nylon pucks in the motor gear assembly completely destroyed beyond recognition. Surprised the step worked this long!

Yup all those chunks used to be nylon cylinders like these ones included with new gear-

I ended up not using the new gear/pucks and bought a whole new motor assembly from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard for $36. It's a Dorman 742-251 Window Lift Motor. There are probably others that will work but this is one I could get right away. It did require a small amount of trimming of the plastic housing but once that was done it fit perfectly.

Here's a pic showing the trimming required.

1992 Champion EuroPremier 38'-sold, 1984 Ford Bronco, 2010 Australian Shepherd - "Coby", 2012 Pomeranian- "Bella"
    www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

Here's the old motor assembly all pulled apart.

Those nylon pucks sit down inside the black gear (new gear was white) and ride on that cam assembly with the 9 tooth gear on top.

www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

Update: The new motor has worked well, got lots of use this year. Coach is in winter storage now so next season will continue the longevity test.
        www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

what gears did you end up using, my motor keeps flaking out

Comment

I used the Dorman 742-251 Window Lift Motor Assembly. It comes with all new gears.
            www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

Working...
            X