Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV insulation

Hi, while doing research about my travel trailer, I wanted to ask opinions about the reflective foil insulation. There must be an air space on one side and it can be used as a vapor barrier. I wondered what material would make a good spacer or would a newly built frame be sufficient? Ideally, it would go along the outside of the frame with the aluminum skin placed over it. I have decided on the Rolux or Rockwool stone insulation for the inside as it is mold, fire, and mouse proof with sound deadening properties.Any ideas? Thanks.

This is not something I have much experience with other than basic house stuff. I did find this detailed writeup on van insulation which I would think also applies to a camper like yours. Maybe some useful tidbits... https://gnomadhome.com/van-build-insulation/
    1992 Champion EuroPremier 38'-sold, 1984 Ford Bronco, 2010 Australian Shepherd - "Coby", 2012 Pomeranian- "Bella"
    www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

How's project going? Have you made a decision on the insulation?
        1992 Champion EuroPremier 38'-sold, 1984 Ford Bronco, 2010 Australian Shepherd - "Coby", 2012 Pomeranian- "Bella"
        www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

I am still in the research phase but, am going to use the Rockwool and reflective insulation. I recently put the reflective up in my attic and at first, I had to wear a hoodie because it was so cold up there. When I had done at least half, I could just wear a T shirt. Maybe it’s just me but I find less drafts upstairs. The real proof will be the heating bill. My trailer rebuild will commence in the spring. Thank you for asking. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Excellent, will be interested to hear how it goes with the trailer in the spring.
            www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

First months bill after reflective insulation install is just under $40.00 less than last month. I am in Canada and we have been getting a polar vortex with very cold weather. So far, I would conclude this is a success. Picture shows about half the attic done. There was no insulation on the pitch part of the roof previously.
              Attached Files

Comment

Interesting, good news! In Michigan we do not have any insulation on the pitch part just 2 feet thick of blown in on the floor of the attic. We are supposed to have batts of insulation in between the floor joists and then some blown in on top of that but the builder (we aren't the original owners) only did the blown in so apparently needs to be much thicker. Blown in has a lower R value per unit of thickness than the batts.
                www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

There was fiberglass insulation between the floor joists and then blow in with my attic. I admit I was skeptical about the reflective insulation but now I am a fan. I was thinking that for the trailer, I might have to drill some discrete very small holes for condensation that might occur between the Reflectix and the outer skin in order to prevent rust as I will be using Reflectix on the outside of the framing. I got this idea of using the Reflectix as an outer vapor barrier from a Mobil tech video. The small holes would probably be near the bottom of the trailer as drain holes and use a waterproof resin on the wood floor to prevent the water from causing mold or rot. I might also glue something like a narrow straw say from an old wd40 can. I can then open the vents or use a dehumidifier on the inside thereby keeping the Rockwool insulation from outside moisture. I am including a picture of the bare roof assuming yours looks similar. Opinions on this strategy are welcome. Thank you for the reply.
                  You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Yup ours is similar. As for the camper I'm not sure how that would work. The moisture problem is such a challenge and I'm definitely not qualified on that.
                    www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

Working...
                    X