Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Oil to Use on Cummins 8.3 CTA6

When i got my first oil change and all new long life filters my oil change, filters and service was 659.00.

I just got a quote for an oil change from a trucking company and its going to be 400.00 no filters.

I believe I can do it, but I don't know what oil to purchase? synthetic or not, shell, cheveron, delo or Lucas ?

Definitely doable yourself for less than $200.

I've always used Shell Rotella 15W-40 non synthetic. Usually the best deal is a 5 gallon bucket from Tractor Supply plus another couple gallons or get 2 5 gallon buckets and save leftover for next time. Should take 24-25 quarts.

The oil filter is huge and is vertical. Make sure you pre-fill it with fresh oil before installing.

When you drain make sure you are ready for 6 gallons of dirty oil to come pouring out.

1992 Champion EuroPremier 38'-sold, 1984 Ford Bronco, 2010 Australian Shepherd - "Coby", 2012 Pomeranian- "Bella"
    www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

Oh and filling is a pain. I have used a funnel with a couple feet of hose on it, hang funnel and pour slowly. It's a real pain, I'm definitely getting a pump of some kind preferably electric before I do ours again.

I also add a couple bottles of Rislone oil treatment for the extra ZDDP. The older engines supposedly need the zinc content for lubrication and modern oils are low on it.

Check the DCA level of your coolant too while you're at it and add some if needed. Remember on these old engines that's as important as the oil change. Somewhere on the forum here is a write up on it, I'll find and link.
      1992 Champion EuroPremier 38'-sold, 1984 Ford Bronco, 2010 Australian Shepherd - "Coby", 2012 Pomeranian- "Bella"
      www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

it was funny, i did a search on the engine type and it pulled up a link to our conversation on this topic back in 2016. lol we are definitely getting the word out about Europremier on the internet

Comment

I was going to purchase a 5 gal oil pump - https://www.harborfreight.com/5-gall...ump-95068.html 14.99 harborfreight
          4 bottles of Rislone - https://rislone.com/product/3x-conce...reatment-4405/ 9.99 wallyworld
          6 pack - (6 Pack) Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, 1-gallon - 72.00 wallyworld
          5 gallon bucket liner - 25 per roll - amazon - 11.99

and i have to figure out my oil filters again, I was told they are different then what you have posted. but they could have said that to get more money from me.

the fill cap is on top, I assume, did you lift the Bed and fill from the bedroom or from outside in the rear engine bay?

Comment

Yup fill cap on top of valve cover. I filled from outside, hung funnel on opened rear hatch and ran tube down. With pump it may be easier to fill thru the dipstick tube.

Strange on the filters, are they an aftermarket brand of filter? They should be able to cross reference to the Cummins numbers.
            www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

okay, Oil Filter LF3000 is normal filter LF9009 is longer life filter and for a few dollars more its worth it.

They put on a water separator FS1212 it seems to be larger than the FS1280.

Also the FF42000 fuel filter is a user friendly version - than the FF5052.

I'm going to go on my trip and change the oil when i return next week. So that if I have an issue I can deal with it next week vs this week as I'm leaving friday - its about 2hrs away - 120miles one way

Comment

Very interesting about the different filter types. I will look into those for ours when I do oil this spring. Thanks for sharing!

Hope you have a fun trip!!

www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

Working...
                X