Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine stalling above half throttle

Yup, hard to believe the mighty 460 is not cooperating. After a really, really (think if I had hit the brakes on the back down I might have flipped over) steep climb on the last trip of 2014 to the dunes it quit giving full power. Anything above about half foot in the throttle causes the engine to stumble hard and quit if I don't let up. It runs perfectly at idle and lower power settings with no abnormal noises. I'm thinking possibly a stuck float in the secondary.

It has a relatively new Holley 770 Truck Avenger Carb.

Anyone have this type of experience?
    1992 Champion EuroPremier 38'-sold, 1984 Ford Bronco, 2010 Australian Shepherd - "Coby", 2012 Pomeranian- "Bella"
    www.ClassicRV.net

over a year late to post up ... had same problem with T/A. turned out to be a bad metering block... have you called Holley? Or better yet, how about fuel injection!

Comment

I do remember that and have talked to Holley (not Scott) many times. They even sent me a new carb and still having issue but it's a little different now. Now that I have YB's fuel/air meter hooked up it appears that it's going really lean on the secondaries. If I milk it a bit and get it to keep going and get the rpms up it will get to a point where it seems the fuel delivery catches up to the air flow. Have tried different springs for secondaries, adjusting float levels, adjusting accelerator pump, etc..

Definitely seriously considering fuel injection. Been eyeing that FiTech setup that uses an inline pump and no return line.

Maybe a setup like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FiTech System Jegs.png
Views:	239
Size:	745.0 KB
ID:	1778
      1992 Champion EuroPremier 38'-sold, 1984 Ford Bronco, 2010 Australian Shepherd - "Coby", 2012 Pomeranian- "Bella"
      www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

Josh, I think you have seen this pic but in case you haven't... I had same problem going past 1/2 throttle. process of elimination narrowed the problem down to metering block. I thought a passage was blocked and could not flush it clear. took it to work and x-rayed it to find the blockage and found this instead...

Nice design flaw from Holley... they will swap out blocks, for free (kinda like a silent recall) but I wonder how many people pull their hair out trying to fix this issue...

I find it a bit hard to believe a 670 T/A is going to keep up with your fire breathing 460... If a 770 is too big for ya, exactly what engine is it made for?

lastly, your brothers over on Classic Broncos are discussing FiTech issues. might be worth a read. i haven't gone thru the whole thread but there are 10 pages of discussion...
        http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=263586
        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thanks for the link and pic! I do remember when you were chasing that, we were shocked to find out the culprit!

Good reading on the Classic Broncos forum. Their stories definitely make me hesitant to make the switch.
          www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

I ended up going with the FiTech fuel injection and it seemed to work well last summer and then fired up after winter storage without any issue. Cost, ease of install, replacement parts availability and recommendation from a friend were factors in my decision along with reports that many of the initial design problems have been worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

Working...
            X