Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden voyage of "Operation Simplify"

Taking the 37' BMC Motorhome on a test drive on August 24th. I will admit it is a little intimidating, but I am sure it will go well. The previous owner has agreed to accompany me on this endeavor, which is very much appreciated! Josh, do you have a "pre-flight" checklist for driving your motorhome?

Oh boy this is exciting! Yes, I do a serious "preflight" inspection and highly recommend it! Strangely I haven't written anything down but you have now given me reason to.

Here's a start please let me know if I've missed anything. This will be a work in progress.

Outside
    • Check Engine Fluids
    • Look for leaks under Moho
    • Check Generator Fluids
    • Check Tire Pressures & inspect tread
    • Check that awnings are stowed & secured
    • Check that all hoses and cords are disconnected & stowed
    • Remove tire chocks
    • Make sure all bins are latched, I like to lock them too
    • Check fuel cap is secured
    • Check condition of windshield wipers

Inside
    • Clear counter tops & tables of anything that might fall
    • Check cabinet doors, drawers, refrigerator door, shower door, & other doors are latched & secured for travel
    • Check window shades are secured for travel, especially front ones.
    • Adjust drivers seat & mirrors
    • Check Fuel Level
    • After start check for oil pressure
    • Allow engine warm up and air pressure to build
    • Turn on backup camera if not already on
    • Make sure parking brake is ON, then stow hydraulic jacks
    • Ensure air suspension is filled, jacks are stowed and air tanks are filled for braking before releasing parking brake.

Driving
    • Use your mirrors and backup camera
    • Check in front of you before you move forward. Animals, children, toys, etc. may not be as visible at first glance as they are in a lower vehicles.
    • As you start to move check your brakes before gaining any speed. Easy to throw on the parking brake if you are still barely moving & normal brakes don't work.
    • Be aware of the tail swing when turning
    • Be aware of how much less stopping capability you have than most vehicles. Keep plenty of distance between the vehicle in front of you.
    • Look further out in front of you to see traffic stopping sooner than later. Nothing worse than a panic stop in a Moho.
    • Plan your entry onto freeways or into traffic knowing you have minimal acceleration capability.
    • Know the height of your rig and plan your route so as not to scrape the top off. No McD's drive thru unfortunately!
    • Plan your route and your stops so as not to get yourself jammed in somewhere that you can't make a turn or have to back up.

1992 Champion EuroPremier 38'-sold, 1984 Ford Bronco, 2010 Australian Shepherd - "Coby", 2012 Pomeranian- "Bella"
    www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

I can see that this list will need to be printed in a checklist format for my "co-pilot" to review with me prior to take-off. It is certainly far more intensive than the checklist for the mini-trailer! Thanks for the start!

Comment

I can't wait to see you pull the mini-trailer with the moho! Maybe you should repaint it to match??
        1992 Champion EuroPremier 38'-sold, 1984 Ford Bronco, 2010 Australian Shepherd - "Coby", 2012 Pomeranian- "Bella"
        www.ClassicRV.net

Comment

I think that would be fun, but the Mrs. doesn't....LOL!!! Latest plan is to flat tow Jeep to Dunes III.....ordered tow bar on Sunday, so we should be ready to do it......if we are brave enough.

Comment

Curious which towe bar you decided on?

Comment

The MH comes with a really nice Roadmaster tow bar, but it requires brackets that are $400.00. I have a Smittybilt front bumper that Smittybilt offers a pretty nice tow bar for under $150.00, so I went that route. Just need to figure out lights; magnetic towing lights would be easiest, but I am researching ways to use the Jeep's tail lights.

Comment

Well, the test drive was rescheduled to next Wednesday.........but was re-rescheduled to tomorrow afternoon.......removed tire covers and received more instructions today........don't expect to sleep much tonight.....lol

Comment

Sunday, August 24, 2014......the adventure begins!! Took the Bluebird for about an 8 mile drive.....felt like I was driving my family room....haha!!! No problems on the road, but extremely challenging to return to the campsite---about 12 inches total clearance on both sides of MH....will need to practice more when the campground is less crowded! Looking forward to Silver Lake roadtrip in three weeks!

Comment

Working...
                  X